When it comes to children and technology, many parents are understandably worried. Will screen time hurt my child’s development? Should my child use social media? And, the big one-should I give my child a smartphone?
With the advancement of technology, schools have updated and modified their curriculum, as well as taught new ways of teaching. In fact, with the advent of technology, education is no more limited to schools and classrooms. Kids can now learn anything they want and at their own pace, with the help of sites similar to NovoJolt, as well as on platforms like YouTube. The sad truth, however, is that some parents are still hesitant to let their kids use computers and smart devices. So, now the question is, do smart devices actually benefit a child’s education?
Technology is all around us, whether we’re aware of it or not. Even preschool-age kids have smartphones in their pockets. And it’s not just smartphones-technology is integrated into our classrooms, our educational tools, and our learning methods. Many schools use online learning platforms, such as Canvas and Schoology, which allow students and teachers to upload assignments, check comments, and track grades online, even without a Wi-Fi connection.
How Important Is Technology in Education? Benefits and Impact on the Young Kids
Technology plays a vital role in education today at all levels. Physics and mathematics have long utilized technology, and today, technology is becoming a mainstay of language courses. In recent years, technology has been increasingly integrated into early childhood education.
- Educational Technology Challenges – Educational technology challenges can be overcome through conscious efforts. Schools can invest in integrating technology in the classroom by including such simple tools as iPads, and Smartboards and taking extra steps to integrate technology in lesson plans. Most schools utilize educational software, but students aren’t always using the software to its fullest potential. Studies have shown that personalizing learning strategies through incorporating technology in the classroom will increase students” academic performance and, consequently, graduation rates.
- Increased Collaboration and Communication – While most educators and students agree that the use of technology in the classroom has many benefits, such as boosting academic performance, improving student engagement, providing greater access to learning opportunities, and enhancing collaboration, there are also concerns about the use of technology in education. Is technology driving education or just changing it? What are the challenges? And most importantly, how does technology impact young students?
- Curiosity Driven by Engaging Content – We’ve all seen the effects of technology on kids. While some kids rely on cozies for attention, others need the latest technology in their hands. Growing up, I remember how my parents were afraid I would forget how to communicate if I didn’t communicate with them. Technology has taken that fear away. Now, kids don’t need to sit in front of a teacher but in front of a tablet.
- Improved Teacher Productivity and Efficiency – Young children, spend a lot of their time in classrooms, so it’s no secret that how they learn matters. Technology, however, can play a big role in how students learn, which can benefit the young students themselves as well as the teacher. The positives of modern technology include better classroom management, improved teacher productivity, and efficiency, as well as improved engagement and learning opportunities for students of all ages.
- Personalized Learning Opportunities – Technology has become an essential part of education. The evolving technology has changed the way students learn and absorb knowledge. Technology has enhanced the core curriculum and redefined the teaching and learning experience. Not just for school-based curriculum, but tech has transformed learning itself as a whole. Even spiritually-minded parents or kids who wish to learn and study scriptures such as the Bible, can easily access many a bible study online, changing the way that the Church expounds its teachings. A new instrument, a new skill, some physical activity, all of it can be learnt with the help of tech. Technology has transformed the way we know. But, are the students learning? Education experts have questioned whether the technology is advancing students or serving to displace the human element from the classroom.
Technology has become an integral part of educational instruction. But does use technology benefit your kid’s education? How? How can you use it to help your kid learn and develop instead of wasting their time?
Education today is no longer just confined to the classroom. Technology is everywhere, and its benefits extend far beyond just improving efficiency in the classroom. It can enhance learning, save time, and literally bring the world to children’s fingertips-but how does all of this benefit your child’s education?